National Doctors Day: Thank Those who Keep you Allergy-Free

March 30 is National Doctor’s Day, and we here at AllergyEasy wanted to recognize doctors who deal with a health concern close to our hearts: allergies!

national doctors day

General practice/family practice. Your general practice provider may be an M.D. or D.O., nurse practitioner or physician assistant, regular family practitioner or pediatrician. They are generally the gate keepers—the first ones you go with complaints of your maddening hay fever, conjunctivitis, ongoing sinus problems, asthma, or food allergies. If your general practitioner provides allergy shots or drops, allergy treatment may be a one-stop shopping experience for you. If not, they may refer you out to a specialist based upon your allergy needs.

Dermatologist. Dermatologists often treat patients with allergies that manifest in the form of eczema, hives or angioedema (similar to hives but swelling occurs under the surface of the skin). They can prescribe topical cream if your skin allergies are a temporal problem. If your skin problems persist, though, they may refer you to an allergist to treat the underlying allergic disease (rather than simply treating symptoms with medications like topical creams).

Otolaryngologist (also called an ear, nose and throat doctor or ENT). These doctors are trained in the medical and surgical management and treatment of diseases and disorders of the ear, nose and throat. You might see an ENT doctor if you have chronic ear infections or sinus infections or nasal polyps. They may deem it necessary to perform a sinus surgery or a surgery to remove nasal polyps. They may also refer you to an allergist. Since chronic sinusitis, ear infections and inflamed nasal passages (and polyps) often arise from allergies, it may be wisest to try allergy treatment to halt the problem rather than doing an invasive surgery that will not address the source of the allergy problem.

Ophthalmologist/ Optometrist. These eye specialists can be consulted if you are having ongoing conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis can be viral or bacterial. It can also be a result of allergies that cause the lining of the eyes to become inflamed and itch maddeningly due to allergic reactions. The eye doctor may prescribe medications or eye gels to address the symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis.

Allergist. And finally, there’s the good, old allergist who can test you for allergies and provide treatment through allergy shots . There are also sublingual immunotherapy allergists who can treat your allergies through under-the-tongue tablets or liquid drops.

Allergies can make life miserable, but fortunately, there is a wide array of doctors equipped to help with your allergy needs. Contact your general practitioner to get help with your allergies or visit